Saturday, October 30, 2010

New front end coming...

I have decided after much thought that I really need to put a different front end on this bike. I really believe that the stock front end is just too bulky for the bobber look that I am trying to achieve. So I am going to build myself a leafer front end. I've got the plans, now all I need to do is secure the rest of the material and I will be off and running.

Monday, October 25, 2010


I threw one of the carbs in temporarily tonight just to get a look at the colors. On the engine anything that is now black will remain black. Anything that is aluminum will be painted orange and all relief work such as the honda lettering will be painted white. The colors should go very well. I have come up with two options so far for a name for the bike which are 'tangerine dream' and 'creamsicle swirl'.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

A little of this...a little of that...

So I've been puttering around trying to get little things done on the bike. I don't have any money to spend on it so I'm just doing little things with what I already have. I do have some more to do on the seat before I commit to putting the leather on.

Today I worked on my painting skills, or should I say the lack there of. I prepped and painted a few smaller items including carb bowls, caps, headlight can and battery box lid. My painting needs some work. I think that the biggest problem is that I don't have a very good setup and it is hard to see due to shadows and getting the backside of things is difficult.



Thursday, October 21, 2010

We have been making progress. Not much, but progress. And when I say we I mean my youngest daughter Madeline, my fiancée Christie and I. Madeline and Christie are more moral support, but they are an integral part of the build regardless. Madeline is seen here taking the seat that we have been working on together for a test drive. She is a great little helper.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Freebies are good :)

Well I scored at work today. The ironworkers are just about done on my jobsite so I have been scrounging for materials. Today they hooked me up with two pieces of flatstock 1/4" x 10" x 32". I'm sure I can fabricate many goodies for many projects with this. I also got two pieces of 6" C-channel at about 6' long each, which I will eventually be building a jig with for making swingarms :)

Monday, October 18, 2010

Seat getting comfy

I have only made some minor progress in the last day. I'm kind of tired tonight and don't really feel like doing a whole lot. Either way I have done some more work on the seat and it is taking shape. Keep in mind that there is some more 'finesse' shaping to come before the leather is applied, but I thought I would share a few more pics of my progress.



Sunday, October 17, 2010

Minor progress

This weekend I finally got myself onto a few things. I got the seat pan cut out and bent. My helper and I did a bit more today getting the bolts in the seat pan. I am now waiting for the glue to set up some on the base layer of foam. Another thing I attempted today was painting. I managed to get some primer on my headlight can and battery box lid. It worked out well and I am now way more confident about painting. The only problem is I didn't take enough time on prep.

And one more thing before I go. I started an online photobucket account to follow this build. It can be found here.